Sunday, May 1, 2011

Time Out For Women

   My Sister and my two Nieces and I went to Time Out For Women in San Antonio this weekend. It was the most glorious experience I have had in a long time! We drove down Friday night and had dinner at our friends Ian & Jehn's and then we went to the Conference. Sherry Dew spoke and Dallyn Vail Bayles sang and also spoke. It was really awesome! Sherry Dew spoke about focusing on the finish line of life and not getting distracted by things that aren't ideal. It was amazing!








The next day we had to get up super early because when they scheduled TOFW the city hadn't yet scheduled it's Race for the cure marathon so they ended up being the same day so we had to get to the conference center early before they closed the roads. It was really cool though because the conference center is right on the Riverwalk so we were able to walk around and we went to breakfast and got to visit a bit.     When the conference started we heard from Amanda Dickson she spoke about how we need friendships and making it a priority to maintain them. Then we heard a performance from Jericho Road, Then Emily Watts spoke about mothering and praising good behaviors, and creating simple meaningful traditions. Then we heard from John Hilton III who spoke about not comparing ourselves to others and magnifying our strengths.
After those presenters we went to lunch at the mall. It was so crowded between the 2,000 TOFW ladies and the race for the cure people. We barely had time to get our food and eat it before we had to get back. 
After lunch we got to hear from Jericho Road again and then from Matt Baldwin who spoke about teaching our children to be non-conformists when it comes to being out in the world. After him we heard from Jericho Road again and then we heard from Kris Belcher who is a woman who lost her sight about 7 years ago when her boys were 1 & 4 years old. She talked about learning to laugh through your trials and looking for the Lords' polishing that is occurring while you are going through the trial instead of looking back at it after the trial. She was seriously hilarious but I also learned a lot by listening to her. 



All in all the weekend was so relaxing and amazing. I have still be struggling quite a bit since my second miscarriage and have been feeling very dark and depressed so this was just the thing I needed to feel uplifted and refreshed. I hope that I will be able to keep these lessons in my heart and use them because it was such a golden opportunity!
Thanks so much Diana & Aaron for providing me with this experience you have no idea how much it means to me!

3 comments:

Jessica Newman said...

Wow it looks like you had a great time -I love a little empowering and rejuvenating! I think I'm going to be a public speaker so I can go around to all these amazing conferences!

Laura said...

What a fun thing to do! So glad you got to share it with your sister and nieces! (Happy anniversary a week late by the way!) I think about you often and I hope that you are doing well. Dillon and Evan have been asking when Kennadee can come and stay again, so let's get planning! And maybe you can stay for a couple of days this time! I am not working anymore, so I'm just here! Can't wait to see you! I love you!

Nursemom said...

Wow. I wish I had been able to go to that. It sounds like a lot of fun and very inspiring. Ironically enough, I know Dallyn Bayles. His family lived in our quad at married student housing at BYU. He was our ward choir director. He was a very cool guy. Lucky you guys!