Well as some of you know Russell has been diagnosed with Graves Disease (hyperthyroidism). He was diagnosed because he has a racing pulse, has lost 35 pounds in the last few months without even trying, he has been tired, nauseous, dizzy, and a bunch of other things. The treatment for this disease is to take a pill of radioactive iodine which in turn goes in and kills the thyroid and then he would have to be on medication for the rest of his life. Well when he went in to the radiologist to get scanned to see if he was a candidate for this procedure they found a nodule and told him that they could not do the radiation until he had a biopsy to make sure it wasn't cancerous. We went in for the biopsy and the Dr. said that there was less than a 5% chance that it would be cancerous. That was last Friday and she said she would get back to us Monday or Tuesday to let us know what the results were. Well this morning (Thurs.) She called to let me know that they discovered something that they weren't expecting.....Cancer. She said that he has Papillary Carcinoma which is the most common of the Thyroid Cancers and has been researched to find that people who get it between age 20-40 have a less than 1% mortality rate so it is the best one to have. I am still seriously worried. So for now we have to wait until the medication he is on regulates he Thyroid and then he will have surgery to remove the Thyroid and the nodules and then after the surgery he will be having radioactive iodine treatments to make sure to kill any remaining cancer cells.
Please keep him in your prayers!
Friday, June 18, 2010
Biopsy Results
Posted by The Eldredge's at 11:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
Don't be scared he is going to be fine. Trust me I know what you guys are going through. I love you guys and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
PJ
I'm so sorry that you guys have to go through this. Good luck to both of you Maria. I hope the treatments go well. I can tell you from experience that the surgery is not too bad, and recovery is quick, about two weeks.
What a hard time for you and your little family Maria! You will be in my thoughts and prayers FOR SURE!! I love you both! Keep us updated.
Our neighbor is going through the exact same thing. She just underwent her first round of the radioactive treatment. Hopefully all goes well for him! We'll keep him (and all of you) in our prayers.
Wow, as if you guys needed another thing on your plates!! We will definitely be praying for him and your whole family!! We love you guys!
Scary! We will keep you in our prayers.
You guys are definately in our prayers. God has a reason for everything and you will come out even stronger. I hope everything works out well with the treatments, and I wish his a speedy recovery.
We love you and your little family and you will be in our prayers, of course. Thanks goodness the Lord is in charge and loves all of us and helps us through the hard times.
Post a Comment